Re: [SLUG] Confirming NPR Meeting & Linux Questions

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 18:41:34 EDT

On Wednesday 02 May 2001 03:03 pm, Doc wrote:

> Do I have it correct that the May 5th SLUG Meeting is this Saturday
> from 1-3PM at the library in NPR?

Yes....that is correct. The meeting will be in one of the second floor
meeting rooms.

> A friend came by and we have the desktop running on Linux-Debian-Stormix.
> The 3com 10/100 nic is working, as is the Viking modem. We have Internet
> access too!
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. We have yet to figure out how to break out of the Stormix/KDE x-windows
> and get to the Linux equivalent of a command line. (What is it called in
> Linux-speak?)
> We could get to the boot: prompt with ctrl-x before x-windows started but
> that
> did not appear to be what we need. Help?

Most Linux distro's have six (or more) virtual terminals running upon boot.
Each one waiting at a login. Since Linux is a multiuser OS, a differant user
can be logged onto each virtual terminal.

Use the key combinations [CTRL] + [ALT] + [Fn] ( n == 1-6) to switch between
running virtual terminals. X will be running on F7.

You can use [CTRL] + [ALT] + [BACKSPACE] to shut down X and return to a
command line. Use the command "startx" to restart X.

Most times you can use [CTRL] + [ALT] + [+|-] (plus or minus keys on the
number pad) to switch viewports. It can sort of act like a quick screen
magnifier because the screen resolution remains the same. Move the mouse to
the edge of the viewport to go from edge to edge of the screen.

> 2. I had been using coax with the old 3com cards which allowed for hanging
> devices end-to-end on the network. Does the use of RG-45 (which is the
> only option on this 3com nic) mean that I will need a router box or the
> like? If so I
> may switch back to the older card ... don't need more devices!

You should only need a hub to connect the cards together.

> 3. I want to avoid the MS and AOL/Netscape browsers. I have read that the
> newest KDE browser is a good one and someone here mentioned Enlightenment
> as an alternative to KDE ... and I believe it is also a browser. I am used
> to MS
> Internet Explorer and Outlook Express but will use whatever provides
> similar functionality ... at improved stability under Linux. Suggestions &
> reasons, please?
> Need to get off this MS box!

KDE's Konqueror web browser works pretty good. It has a few issues, mostly on
sites that use java, that I still find myself using Netscape, but it won't be
long before its a true Netscape killer.

> 4. I am told that so long as we are stuck with 56k dialup as our only
> option that
> the server pc may be set to dialup on demand from any pc connecting via the
> lan
> and requesting Internet services. Anyone doing this with success?

There are various tools available to do that. Acutually I have the e-smith
server distribution running on my home network server. Its based on Red Hat
7.0 and is quite easy to setup and configure. Dial on demand is an option
during the install. I don't use it myself because I have a ADSL connection so
I can't say how well it works.

> 5. I am considering making the server desktop a Web server. Should I
> build a
> minimal pc with a modem and use it as the Internet firewall and lightning
> "fuse"
> between the phone line and my server? (I've been looking for an 80 foot
> length
> of fiber and a couple of fiber nics so I could really isolate the phone
> line and
> modem from the rest of the network ... so far no joy at a price I could
> afford ...
> may consider a shorter run ... 30-40 feet or so if necessary. Ideas?)

Sorry, can't help ya with that one Doc.

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net