Re: [SLUG] aol's move

From: Eric Pierce (epierce@usf.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 23:31:51 EDT

The open sourced AIM clients (I use Gaim, and still use Tik
occasionally) have trouble with AOL servers once every week or
two. However, I have also had trouble connecting with AOL's client, so
I'm not so sure that the problem lies in AOL blocking access, it seems to
be more like they are having trouble handling the millions of people
using the service. I don't doubt that AOL *would* block access to other
clients if they felt inclined to do so, I'm just not convinced they have
been doing it.

BTW, AOL is blocking alot of their incoming mail. They are blocking many
listservs totally and they blocked a list of about 40 major universities
for a period of about 3 weeks with no explanation except that their
domains had "suspected spammers" in them. They say that these actions are
to protect their customers from unwanted email, but they haven't put any
spam controls on their own users, just external mail.

-Eric

On Thu, 3 May 2001, patrick wrote:

> On Thursday 03 May 2001 07:04 pm, you wrote:
> > My Open Source (GPL) IM client Kit still works just fine. Are they
> > blocking email from getting delivered to their users? How would they
> > know what kind of software produced it?
> >
> > Ed.
>
> good for u. i read the other day that aol blocked
> open source. i am just mentioning what i read.
> and i did read it, i was speaking about their chat
> software, not email. check it out and let us know

Eric Pierce Phone: (813) 974-8868
Academic Computing Fax: (813) 974-1799
University of South Florida