Re: [SLUG] Network Time Protocol

From: Scott Glenn (sag@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 10:12:38 EDT

You want xntp. It comes with most distros (I assume) since it is
the de-facto standard NTP client and server software for *n*x.
If you want to just set the time once at boot time, then use "ntpdate"
which is part of the xntp package. If you decide you need to
run "xntpd" to keep your clock in sync with UTC, you may also want
to consider the security implications of doing so. See:

http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/bottom.html?vid=2540

for details regarding a buffer overflow exploit in xntpd.

->Scott