Re: [SLUG] Re: Paul thank you for your response, and some thoughts.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 01:00:57 EDT

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 12:29:29PM -0400, ramiro souto wrote:

> First of all Paul, thank you for your response.
> I have learned a few things which frankly I had no idea what they were
> until today (most of them I have never heard either!).
>
> Second this brings me to a personal private point that I have been
> waiting to express to the list for a long time and I have been waiting
> for the perfect example to go into the details.
>
> As you can see from my questions I'm not the sharpest nail in the box on
> these matters.
>
> I'm very frustrated.

<snip>

> Now do you see my frustrations?????
>
> So I sit in the background and use my Windblows box (es) and this is the
> reason that I sent the list the URL with the flash without even realizing
> what it was or that it used it.
> I just saw the humor of the URL, nothing else crossed my mind.
>
> Does this mean I'm going to curl up go away and not continue my work with
> Linux
> NO!
> But for now I just don't have the time and or the energy to try and tweak
> a Linux distribution to make it work in any of my three boxes.
>
> Thank you for listening to me.
> Ramiro Souto

I feel your pain (I couldn't resist!). Seriously, I understand what you
mean. But to a large extent, Derek is right about having to know
something about computers in order to run Linux. I'd like to see a day
when computers are as simple to use as a toaster. But it's a long way
off. Even the Mackies haven't made it to that point. In the meantime,
you have to learn more about computers to get the most out of Linux. Of
course, your situation with multiple distributions and various computers
is unusual. But it does happen. Unfortunately, we don't have the
billions Microsoft does to come up with or coerce others to write
drivers and software for our OS. So sometimes Linux won't run properly
on your computer. However, as with a lot of things, the difficulty
people have with something is often inversely proportional to how well
they understand it. It _should_ be easy and simple. And it _is_ getting
better.

For now, take whatever time you can, study and experiment. And ask
questions here. We're more than happy to answer them if we can.

Paul