[SLUG] Re:Brigitte

From: Bill Preece (savatage@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 12:48:03 EDT

 Ok let's see if this can help you. There is a few tricks you can do to
still install Linux on a system
with non bootable CD-ROM. One if your copy of Mandrake is in a box it should
have come with a
bootable floppy disk that will boot and load your CD-ROM driver while it
boots for installation.
If you do not have one such floppy in your box then there is a few options.
You can call Macmillan
the people who publish the Mandrake disk and report your is missing. You can
come to a meeting and
let myself or one of the members know and I am sure one of us would be glad
to make you such a disk.
Just mention which version of mandrake 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 etc... Also standard
deluxe or professional.

Other option. If you have your bootable windows floppy that has the CD-ROM
driver on it you can do a little trick.
If it is a Windows 98 floppy boot off the floppy tell it to boot with CD-ROM
support. Do not choose the install with
windows98 CD... Once booted install your Mandrake disk. At the A:\
<--Prompt go to d:\ or c:\ if the hardrive partition
is wiped out. Then you can do a dir or ls command. You will need to look for
the tools directory. Go to this directory
again another ls or dir you should see something like rawrite or
rawwrite.exe now type the following

path=d:\tools then hit enter. Next do a cd.. Now go to the directory that
has something like boot.img maybe like this.

cd \images then you get this d:\images do a ls or dir you see a file
called boot.img now put a blank floppy in your floppy drive
type in the following rawwrite d:\images\boot.img a: enter then it will
prompt you to install a blank floppy then you
follow directions. It should then create a bootable floppy install disk that
will load your cdrom ... then go with the installation
as normal.

I can research this to get you the correct file names as I maybe a little
off with the names but this is how I have done a few
when I can not find a bootable disk or if I just downloaded the image and
made my own cd. Almost all distros except ,
slackware , and debian maybe a bit more rough. How ever though I believe
most are very close to this to work.

Also if you do want a dual boot it is usually easier with Windows installed
first then follow the book.

The procedures I mentioned we had to do to my girlfriends Laptop because it
will boot from the cd.

Have a great day.
Bill Preece

Hope to see you all at the Wed meeting tomorrow night at Price Water House.
Remember we have a presentation as well and we will have a short meeting
on the show for all the helpers and presenters.