[SLUG] Intresting Tip on the Hp 3300cxi Scanner

From: Bill Preece (savatage@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 15:35:41 EDT

  Here is a quick note I thought I would pass along.
My work Ordered 6 new Dell Optiplex Gx150 pc's
and 6 Hp 3300 cxi scanners.

I took one for a test machine was actually allowed to
load Mandrake 8.0 on it. I hooked up the scanner and
the computer and went into the scanner software.

When I tried to scan the scanner started to hmm then
sat idle. Tried this 3 to 4 times. Then I decided to take
another machine that had the other OS on it. {cough}

Loaded there apps from hp and everything. Went to
print a test page same thing? ? ?? hmmmmm.

So then I got on Hp's web site found nothing about this problem.
Got on Dell's web site nothing.

I then called Hp's support number. Once on with a tech the first thing the
tech said was for me to see what USB chipset I had. I had the new BAM
Intel Usb chipset the tech said wait hold it right there. ..hmmm?

The tech said that this chipset is too fast for the scanner to do
bio directional communication. The remedy is to A get a parallel printer ,
B get a USB card that has a slower chip set. or C try using a Usb hub.

I opted for the USB hub I called Mb's (Local Dist.) and order a cheap
trendent
4 port usb hub. Once I got the hub I hooked it up and hooked up the power
adapter and plugged it in.
I turned on the computer and once we were up I tired this again. Nothing !
! !

I then Noticed on the Usb hub it says bus power and self power which the
self was being used with the
adapter. I unhooked the power to the usb hub after I shut the computer down.
I then turned the computer back on and the hub lights came on.

Once it was up I once again tried this test scan. IT WORKS ! ! ! !
I then tried this on the other OS system again IT WORKS! !! !

So keep this in mind if you want a cheap and good usb scanner.
Best buys sells these 3300cxi's 89.00.

Enjoy the tip.