[SLUG] irc note and CPAN

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 20:07:45 EDT

Someone noted on irc they were having trouble installing something, When I
found out it was a Perl Module, it made me recall some notes I had made from
tips given to me by some Perl Wizard (probably Jules) in the local community.
It has to do with CPAN which is (I hope I get this right) Comprehensive Perl
Archive Network. It seems there is a Perl script that probably came with most
Linux distributions that greatly eases the installation and updating of Perl
add ons. Start an interactive session with the Perl interpreter with the
following command line in your favorite shell:
perl -MCPAN -e shell
I do this as root so there is no problem with access to install directories.
The first time this is run you will be asked a series of fairly easily
answered questions. Most of the questions will have a default answer listed
in parentheses and pressing enter will accept this default. You want to be
connected so that archive lists can be fetched and you will have access to
the latest and greatest stuff. Once the config is done you will be staring at
the cpan prompt. From here you can fetch and install whatever interests you.
You can enter a question mark to get a list of commands that are available.
Here is an install example from my notes:
cpan> install Bundle::libnet
The config can be run again with the command : "o conf init"
When I found this I thought this was so slick! Hope this helps anyone
wanting to install new mods for Perl, but are unsure how to get it all done.

I must put a disclaimer here : I am only an occasional scripter and not a
reel porgammer and this is only as accurate as I am. If there are others here
who use this technique, please expose any flaws found.
that being said,
Have Fun