[SLUG] Net worth of Open Source Software

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 21:16:03 EDT

Hey everyone,

I'd mentioned this in another post, but haven't gotten any response...

Is it possible to put a dollar figure on all of the Open Source/Free
software that's been developed so far? I mean, if M$ can sit there and
say that if they don't make a profit they can't invest in making better
software, we should be able to sit back and say, "Yeah, all us free
software/open source software folks have invested so much more in
developing software that M$ can't hold a candle to the amount of money
we've "invested" for free. How much would it have cost one (mythical)
company to have employed all the developers of Free/Open Source
software? How much could it have charged for all of that if it weren't
Free/Open? I bet if we put a dollar figure on that kind of thing, it
would make M$ look like a warship in a bath tub, compared to the Real
Aircraft Carrier in the Ocean. :-)

Russell

Without sharing, there would be no Internet
Without the Internet, there would be no sharing
Share your code, share your source
-- Let's build something as great as the Internet!