Re: [SLUG] Re: "My" Dead Hard drive

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 21:30:32 EDT

Ide ATAPI tape drives work with Linux using scsi-emulation -- forget
about using the ide-tape module. Most kernels out of the box do not
have scsi-emulation set up since it conflicts with other tape drive
support. You have to configure and compile a kernel with a particular
group of seemingly un-related things turned on and others turned off.
It does work and work well *IF* you get it right.

Thanks to a posting by Timothy Moore (timothymoore@bigfoot.com) that was
discovered and brought to my attention by Bob Snibbe and whose web link
got permanently lost in my vast underground caverns, I present to you my
abbreviated version of Tim's ATAPI tape drive howto:

1. Kernel configuration: Under BLOCK DEVICES select SCSI emulation
support( if you manually edit .config or check it after configuration it
will be called CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI). Under SCSI support (yes I know
it's NOT a SCSI device! The kernel will see it as one though) select
SCSI tape support (CONFIG_SCSI, CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST) and *deselect*
IDE/ATAPI tape support(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE).

2. rebuild kernel, install, lilo etc....

3. If successful you'll see at boot up something like:
kernel: hdb: YADA YADA ATAPI Tape drive
kernel: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0, id0 lun 0.

You'll use /dev/st0? and /dev/nst0? . Most people link /dev/tape to the
device (ln -s /dev/st0 /dev/tape)

To test, put a tape in and type "mtape -f /dev/tape status" or use the
tar command save and read back a small file.

Paul: This might be a good thing to put on our FAQ page.
Ed.

That's it.