Re: [SLUG] Re: "My" Dead Hard drive

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 18:33:48 EDT

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:54:18PM -0400, mailandnews.com wrote:

> Anyone have any advice about an seagate ide (atapi) tape drive? I can't get
> two tape drives that worked under w98 and wNT to in Linux. The machines
> were loaded with linux and the drives haven't worked since. The model is on
> the SUSE's Linux compatibility list, and seagate has "blurbs" about using
> the drive under linux. I must be doing something wrong.

I've never read anything about, nor do I know of anyone who has ever
used an IDE tape drive. The kernel drivers for tape drives (ftape
package) are strictly for floppy or scsi tape drives only, as I recall.
I've no doubt IDE tape drives are supported, based on your research. But
the lack of helpful response may be because IDE tapes are a rare thing.
You might check the LDP site http://www.linuxdoc.org for documentation
on IDE tape drives. My best suggestion, which may not be worth much.

Paul