Re: [SLUG] Re: Brigitte and Ramiro

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 18:27:12 EDT

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 05:21 PM, you wrote:
> Brigitte wrote:
> > I have to agree, although I'm sure "Running Linux" is an excellent book,
> > I found it to be too advanced. I just bought "Red Hat Linux 7 Weekend
> > Crash Course" which comes with a disk and I plan to read through it over
> > the weekend. One of the problems I had reading through "Running Linux"
> > (and I have to confess, I didn't read it cover to cover) was that it
> > often used programs as examples which I didn't get with Mandrake, so I
> > think perhaps for a beginner a distro specific book is less confusing.
>
> Without a doubt, though general GNU/Linux books allow you to play with
> different distros that have differing philosophies (Debians, Red Hat
> compatibles, Slackware..) with ine common ground for information (I'm
> thinking here the McGraw Hill "The Complete Reference: Linux"). But
> hey, what ever floats your boat.
>
> > In the interim I've put Windows back on the computer I plan to use for
> > the install, should I leave it on or remove it before installing?

Depends on what you want to end up with.
On my original Linux machine I purchased an additional HD and that is where
some of the nice people in the club helped - read installed - Linux. I did
not have to buy the HD for that the original one could have been partioned
for both operating systems but then I figured at the time I could always
unplug one or the other if one did not work and I would have an operating
system. Later I learned you can not do that because of booting but that
knowledge came much later.

Personally after having played with a dual boot machine as a newbie I do not
recommend that.

I do recommend that you get a second HD though but that you place Linux on
both. One to play with and the other to work with. On my machine I currently
have two. One of which is not connected and I mean not connected. No power
cable to it, no audio cable, and no ribbon cable. That was when I crash the
system - and I usually do - by playing with it I am not shut down until I fix
it. I simply unplug one drive and insert the backup until I have time to
return the main drive to service. This approach will not work with a critical
service system but it works quite well with my desktop.

I also caution against a newbie trying to intermix operating systems. To me
that is a disaster looking for a place to happen and happen it will.

<snip>

> If you want to screw it up, meet my friend, Sub-7... ;)

I have a few friends like that too and most of them work in this office.

> Norb

Thanks
Frank