[SLUG] GGRRR (not really linux related)

From: Glen Canaday (tuck@acer-access.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 19:13:13 EDT

<rant>

I'm *really* trying to keep my attitude about M$ under wraps. I work at a
software company that sells a program that runs only on, you guessed it,
Windows. I just got a copy of the source to this program today (under NDA, of
course) and the damn interface is written in VB 3!! This is a thousand dollar
app and that lazy ******* programmer didn't even have the decency to use MFC
so that the interface can be changed as the program evolves. The Visual C++
ide he used's environment is modeled after a Unix environment - proof can be
found by the simple use of make and quite a few matching command line
switches which I bet at least 80% of those who code apps for Windows never
even notice. This code is wrought with gotos and lacks even the least
explanatory comments. I wanted to port this as it would fill a hole in Linux
that's not likely to be filled by anyone else any time soon, but to do that,
I'll have to rewrite 60% of it from scratch. I'm not even sure I can do it
now. If the Windows developers write in a style anything like this, it's
amazing they have not been sentenced to life in an oubliette, so they can
stew over what wrongs they have commited against the software development
community for all eternity.

</rant>

        I think I'm ok now.

        Glen