Re: [SLUG] VNC on the internet

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 07:40:27 EDT

On Thursday 10 May 2001 10:30 pm, you wrote

Ed. Check out the Mindterm VNC viewer when you visit the URL Russell gave
below. I used the Mindterm viewer a couple of years ago and it worked great.
It is written in Java and will run on any 4.0 web browser. It tunnels through
SSH and is secure. That way you can access the host machine from any machine
with a Internet connection, Yea, even $Windose. I use VNC on my home network
to control other machines on my network (Just to lazy to keep rolling the
chair accross the room:). You might even check in the VNC directory if you
have it installed. Sometimes the Mindterm Java classes are shipped with the
package.

<HINT>
If you use the Mindterm Viewer (or even the regular viewer for that matter),
start the VNC server you plan to connect with (or at least one of them, you
can run several at a time) at a reduced resolution if your X desktop is
running a large screen resolution like 1024 x 768. Start the VNC server at
maybe 640 x 480 so if you happen to use a machine with a smaller screen
resolution the host VNC desktop will fit the screen on the client machine if
it happenes to be smaller. Otherwise you won't see the edges of your VNC
desktop in the viewer and you will need to do alot of "scrolling" to the
edges of the screen. It can be annoying.

Mindterm also has a nice SSH Java client that runs in a browser. So you can
make an SSH connection to the host machine first and start the VNC server
remotely. That way you can have several scripts to start the VNC server at
the required resolution needed.
</HINT>

--
Rob