[SLUG] M$ Contribution to Open Source? (was: Re: Tonight's presentation)

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 22:41:46 EDT

If someone from M$ were to contribute to kernel development, I don't
think it would "poison" the kernel. It could be equally argued that M$
"gave away" their IP (officially or not -- what a way for an ex-employee
to get revenge!). Besides, the way the kernel code works, each author of
each patch or module is responsible for it. If there were a lawsuit,
only the offending code would be attacked or removed. This is sort of
like what BSD did. They rewrote AT&T code from scratch.

This is also something that demonstrates that the FSF is wrong in their
desire to "own" the copyrights to the entire kernel code. If the FSF
"owned" the copyrights to the kernel code, the M$ could just attack one
organization. But since so many different people "own" different parts
of the code, and the code has no official central organization, it would
be very tough for them to sue. If they did sue, it would be just one
person -- the one who wrote the code. They can't blame Linus for using
it necessarily because the comparison could be made that he is simply a
"common carrier" in much the same way as an ISP or the Telephone
Company.

Russell
Without sharing, there would be no Internet
Without the Internet, there would be no sharing
Share your code, share your source
-- Let's build something as great as the Internet!