Re: [SLUG] Re: Digital Camera - Linux Compatible?

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 21:14:10 EDT

On Fri, 25 May 2001, edoc wrote:

> > I've been happy with my Sony Mavica, it reads, and formats fat floppys,
> > and linux has no problem reading those ;-)
>
> Funny guy! :-)

Actually, it does work fine reading the files in Linux -- my
mother has one -- got it for her for Christmas a couple of
years ago -- over $800 then -- now around $500 --- excellent
quality

> Found the software ... anyone have experience with any of the 113 digital
> cameras they list as supported?

I have the Fujifilm MX-1200 -- and use gPhoto -- I filed two
bug reports a couple of years ago, and after a while they were
incorporated -- but it worked even though not then explicitly
listed. I both pull the pix through a serial plugin cable
($45) with no problem -- but that is slow enough that I also
bought an external AC supply ($20), to avoid using up the
batteries, and another way described later in this piece.

It takes pictures to a SmartCard -- samples at:

   http://www.owlriver.com/projects/lwall010122/

   http://www.owlriver.com/projects/lwall010122/DSCF0008.JPG

was taken at about 6-7 feet back -- low light levels, and only
the onboard flash for fill. Behind the right ear and between
the horns of the Daemon is the projector output from a Linux
box used by Larry Wall, running the fractal trees screen saver
(that blurry green thing)

Color is extremely accurate -- images are 1280 x 960 pixels in
jpg format -- the pinkish sunglasses in
http://herrold.com/italian/DSCF0239.JPG are exactly correct in
bright sun; the color temperature does not 'warm' fill shots.
Efffective shutter speed is probably 1/500 sec - I think it is
about a f/4 aperture -- fixed focus lens. The flash is
insufficient beyond 10 feet if no bounce fill is occurring:
http://www.owlriver.com/projects/lwall010122/DSCF0018.JPG -- a
supplemental slaved flash would have helped here. But these
are snapshots ...

Media ranges from $20 after rebate on sale for 32 M -- perhaps
a hundred shots -- on up.

------------------

I have recently purchased for about $40 a PC-Card SmartCard
reader -- it slides into this adapter, and the adapter into a
standard laptop PC-Card slot. When inserted, RH 7.2
CardServices recognises it out of the box, and the 'hde' IDE
drive is available for mounting with filesystem type vfat

I have not yet gotten the parallel port adapter to work under
Linux -- no specs were released on this now discontinued
item; I have not yet bought a USB adapter

What to say -- it works just fine. I paid $399 two years ago
-- a later model has released recently and looks to be
identical for $200

-- Russ Herrold

More pics from this unit at:

   http://www.owlriver.com/projects/stallman000124/