Re: [SLUG] RE: pickle

From: patrick (patrick@llc.net)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 10:08:42 EDT

On Monday 28 May 2001 08:47 am, you wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't mean to start a war over distros.

this isnt a war, its discussion. we have people here with
differing ideas. i love it :)

But just for the record,
> I did try Red Hat first and it wouldn't install. I also have SuSE 7.1 and
> every time I try to install it, it just freezes at the partitioning
> level. It's was probably me but Mandrake was the only one I have been able
> to install and actually use. (started with 7.0) I was planning on putting
> SuSE on as well as Mandrake. I have a 40GB drive and winblows only gets
> 6. I did use Mandrake to do the partitioning and only made three primary
> partitions (something about only having 4).
>
> I am using a 1st Mainborad AZ11E with an 850MHz AMD - I reflashed the bios
> due to the problem with the VIA VT686B. I double checked my bios and I
> have plug n play to no plug n play system installed. (winblows still
> boots, surprise number one). I don't have the complete set of disks, only
> the install and extensions that I bought from Linux Central store. I did
> have trouble getting the extensions disk to work.
>
> After initial install I downloaded the security updates, and then played
> around with it a bit, (just checking out some of the programs, spredsheet,
> Kword, and some of the games). I then had to reboot the machine and fix
> something for my fiance in winblows. When I finished I rebooted and It
> wouldn't let me go any farther than the Linuxconf hooks: I used the boot
> disk I made at the install and did the fsck on the file system and then
> rebooted and it stopped again at Linuxconf hooks:
>
> Since I am a newbie I am at a loss, but I have been thinking and maybe
> because I put the user partition on /dev/hdb5 and var on /dev/hdb6 with the
> rest of the partitions, root, boot, and home on /dev/hda5, 7, and 8 and
> swap on 6. Maybe this is the real problem? I never used partitioning
> before and am still not knowledgeable enough in this area.

what i think is rather unbelievable is that people wont give their
linux a drive to work with. i know that lilo and or grub or whatever is
supposed to do all kinds of things to make linux work with other
systems. i have never done this. i just install my linux on my drive
and let linux take it completely over. this works incredibly well.

also i do have a second drive a maxtor 20 gig that i am not using
in case someone wants to loan me their suse or red hat and i will
see what it does on its own drive.