Re: [SLUG] In a pickle

From: Travis Walls (twalls@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 14:12:11 EDT

Hello Slugs and Slugettes:

OK I am not an expert, but as one who is obsessed with installing linux and
wiping it clean everytime it screws up, I feel I now have some notes to make
from my observations.

My new computer is very finicky. It will only run the Latest version of any
distro. I have used SuSE 7.1, Mandrake 8, and am now currently using Red Hat
7.1.

So far, I am dramatically impressed with the quality of Red Hat. This doesn't
really surprise me though because Red Hat was the first Linux I ever used and
it still continues to be good (although 6.0-6.2 were kinda icky) in stability
and quality.

Like Norb, I like Mandrake 7.1, but there were always quirks with Mandrake,
and there still are. True, if you want cutting edge stuff go with Mandrake,
that is as stable as stuff that new will get. Plus, like good ol' DOS/Win 3.1
you can usually confine the problems to certain situations (i.e. if it
freezes when using certain program, DON'T use the program or debug it.)
Nothing is unpredictable about the crashes in Mandrake except for the first
time something happens. Then it is usually repeatable.

Finally, SuSE is nice but I am partial to Red Hat because I am COMFORTABLE
with it. I have used Red Hat since pre 5.0. I first use SuSE with 6.4. Which
brings up my final point: no more discussions on whos distro is better. They
are all good for different people with different tolerences, experiences, etc.

This be the word of:
Travis