Re: [SLUG] Are you viewed as a computer criminal? (fwd)

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 13:56:39 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 12:50:07AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > My Windows
> > partition currently, with the half-dozen or so games installed that I
> > still keep Windows 98 around to play, regularly sends out a dozen or so
> > packets to three or four different IP addresses every time it boots up.
>
> You don't happen to know what those IP addresses are, do you?

Not off the top of my head, but I could turn on more extensive logging
on my firewall and boot into Windows and see what happens...

I think it used to try to talk to web servers at Microsoft (probably
related to some stupid "automatically check for updates" option that I
missed turning off), the company that wrote some bit of software for my
DVD drive/decoder card, and one of the game companies.

It was all web traffic though, which is why the firewall now has rules
on it that say to only accept web traffic from my proxy server, and the
proxy server runs Junkbuster (http://www.junkbuster.com/) which not only
blocks access to sites I put in there, but is also great about stripping
out cookies and ad banners.

With Microsoft products, failure is not           Derek Glidden
an option - it's a standard component.      http://3dlinux.org/
Choose your life.  Choose your            http://www.tbcpc.org/
future.  Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/