[SLUG] WinXP calls back to Microsoft (fwd)

From: herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 16:31:19 EDT

I am back at my office -- here is that piece with a trace of a MS
box phoning home.

The NTP protocol requires the presence of 'strong' crypto for
authentication, such that it was covered by the previous ITAR
regulations, and was issued in an 'exportable' and a
'non-exportable' version by Red hat prior to the change late in RH
6.2. Once the need for differientiation was gone, RH re-issued the
former 'xntp3' package as simply 'ntp'

Ditto the DNS protocol, from bind, ver. 8 on ...

So: "dns query for time.windows.com" will cause your nameserver
(which is probably less subject to outbound content monitoring) to
query a MicroSoft controlled server, which can be hacked to provide
serial number uinformation as part of the query.

Then: the NTP conversation with 207.46.228.33 can carry
(steganographicly encoded) keying information, bearing with it
various host serial numbers.

  see eg working code at: http://www.outguess.org/ which discusses
balancing methods to defeat statistical traffic pattern analysis to
detect steganographic encrypted content.

-- Russ