Re: [SLUG] Linux on a 2nd drive?

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 18:38:18 EDT

Jason Pratt wrote:

> I use XOSL (http://www.xosl.org) for my bootmanager. I've been using it
> for about a year now. It's probably the easiest (IMO) bootmanager out
> there and of course it's free :)
>
> I told the installation to install LILO on the Linux partition of the
> second HD. I created the boot disk during the RH install and when I put
> that in, Linux boots up in all its glory minus sound. I'm running a SB
> Live Value, I should have sound with that I would think, and it's a
> fairly standard board now a days...
>
> But when I try to boot Linux minus the disk, it doesn't even seem to get
> to LILO it just stops, if I hit a key my machine reboots...
>
> Thoughts.... thank guys!
>
> Jason

Well, you really might want to check somethng like GRUB out. It's a
pretty easy boot manager to set up and it'll interact nicelly with any
other OS's. I've used it with 3 hard drives (40gig, 10gig, 8gig) and
never had a problem. Maybe the problem isn't with Linux, maybe it's the
boot manager (have you upgraded a kernel or something?). As for the
sound, make sure that your mixer is not muted by default for some reason
(you'll have to check on whether it's ALSA or OSS you're using as your
sound system (?) or if it's just using a kernel sound module or
something. If you have either OSS or ALSA installed, it's a safe bet
you're using those instead. Also, I warn tha if you're using KDE, the
aRts sound server is kinda screwey, so watch out for it). But back to
the boot loader problem, have you tried just running LILO in your MBR,
as opposed to the first sector of the hard drive?
?

Norb