Re: [SLUG] Linux on a 2nd drive?

From: Steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 20:51:53 EDT

> > Hello, I just installed RH 7.1 on a second drive on my machine and it
> > doesn't boot. Can Linux be installed on a second drive? It is also
> > above the 1024 limit.. will this have any bearing on the installation?

In order for a drive to be bootable it has to have the boot information
within the 1st 1024 cylinders or it cannot boot. When you write the boot
sector you have very little room but to say where to fund the boot
information. If it cannot find it within the 1st 1024 cylinders you're host!

One way to get around it is to make a small boot partition within the 1st
1024 cylinders ( /boot 25MB).

F.ex:

1). Install Windows C: (leave enough at the top of 1023 for a 25MB partition)
2). Linux /boot 25MB.
3). D: Whatever else you need under Windows.
4). Remaining for Linux partition(s).

Let me know if this helps

Steve
Do you ferret?