Re: [SLUG] Thanks

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 22:36:02 EDT

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 09:54:32AM -0400, Bob File wrote:

> On Saturday 02 June 2001 21:41, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> > Thanks to those who helped me with my computer today at the Port Richie
>
> I didn't actually help much, but you're certainly welcome. I thought that was
> a pretty good meeting, considering 3 different people brought machines and
> got help. One person there wanted Linux to use an INtel Ether Express card
> (NIC) and he tried 3 different distributions with no luck. I felt bad
> because I couldn't help him. He had several different OSs on the computer and
> Linux was the only one that refused to use the NIC.
> Would anyone know about these cards?

<snip>

I'm not entirely sure it was an EtherExpress card. There didn't appear
to be any markings to indicate that on the card. There was, however, an
i960 IC on it, FWIW. We also tried plain vanilla NE2000, no go. I'm
wondering if it was a PnP card which was pulling down addresses out of
the range of the normal PnP drivers. I've had this happen before. The
advice I gave was to run the setup program for the card and set it to
specific IRQs, etc. But the advice of running another OS and letting it
tell you what the IRQs are, etc., is good advice.

Paul