Re: [SLUG] Text editor similar too...

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 22:12:09 EDT

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:57:58PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

> pailhead@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > Well.. I should have mentioned the biggest part of EditPlus that I really love
> > and that is built in FTP support so that I can download --> edit --> save and
> > it's all done in a smooth interface. I wish I knew programming because I'd
> > love to write it up myself :)
> >
> > Is there any text editor that has this capability? And the features of the
> > programs you listed.
>
> emacs
>
> Of course, emacs has just about any functionality you can think of.
> Which is why a lot of people find it a bit overwhelming. Personally, I
> love it for doing HTML and code editing and couldn't use anything else.

<flamewar type="vi-vs-emacs">

The biggest gripe I have about emacs is the _arcane_ keystroke sequences
necessary to get stuff done. I've trained Jed to accept a single
function key or control key for all the major functions I use. Yes, you
can train emacs as well, but then when you try to use emacs on another
machine, you're lost.

In its defense, though, emacs can almost be trained to make coffee and
do laundry. ;-}

Paul