Re: [SLUG] GNU Cash

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 22:23:36 EDT

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:02:52PM -0400, Michael Adams wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 June 2001 20:21, you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 June 2001 07:40 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hey, I installed GNU Cash, and it is supposed to be like Quicken,
> > > and Quicken compatible.
> > > Has anyone in the Group used it yet?
> > > I have been attempting, and used the back up file, but the GNU asks
> > > for a QIF file?
> > > Does anyone here know what file it needs from Quicken to import the
> > > data?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I have been using GNU Cash for a good while now. As far as I know
> > Quicken saves its files with a .QIF extension OR it will export
> > account data into a file with a .QIF extension. The file can then be
> > loaded (imported) into GNU Cash. I don't use Quicken but my online
> > banking service will export .QIF Quicken files and I imported my
> > account info that way. It worked great.

> Thanks for the reply,
> I have done a search both manually and dynamically, and I have no QIF or .QIF
> files. I have been running Quicken for 2 years and have Quicken 2000.
> Maybe 2000 is different.
> Any other ideas?

QIF is "Quicken Interchange Format". It is not Quicken's native format.
But Quicken will export to that format. You'll have to poke around in
the menus to find out how to do this. I'm using Quicken 8 for DOS
(gasp!), but I'm sure that Q2000 has the same capability. GNUCash will
import this file once you create it.

Paul