Re: [SLUG] Mandrake & xvidtune

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 02:35:00 EDT

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 01:35:42AM -0400, Jason Pratt wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2001 01:02:54 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Well, I think Derek said you had to manually transfer those values to
> > the modelines in XF86Config. That hasn't been my experience, but he
> > could be right. You might also double-check that you are actually saving
> > those values on the way out of xvidtune.
> >

> Paul, I basically do an apply within xvidtune. This should save the
> values right? If that is and it's not appearing to be saving my vaules
> how do I transfer the info to XF86Config?

Well, "apply" sounds right. The numbers at the top of each of the scales
in xvidtune correspond to numbers in the modelines, if I'm not mistaken.
You can take a look at how they come up when you first start it, and
then track where those values show up in the XF86Config file. That way
you'll know where they fit in the modelines. Using that, you can adjust
with xvidtune, note the numbers, and then make the changes in the
modelines manually. Again, though, BE CAREFUL. You might try small
incremental changes before you try the full boat, just to make sure it
works as you expect.

I wonder, are you running xvidtune as root? If not, I can imagine that
it would not write back to XF86Config, since as a non-privileged user
you don't have write permission to the file. If that happened, it might
not tell you it didn't write it, either.

Paul