Re: [SLUG] Mandrake & xvidtune

From: Jason Pratt (linuxmad@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 08:58:56 EDT

On 10 Jun 2001 02:35:00 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Well, "apply" sounds right. The numbers at the top of each of the scales
> in xvidtune correspond to numbers in the modelines, if I'm not mistaken.
> You can take a look at how they come up when you first start it, and
> then track where those values show up in the XF86Config file. That way
> you'll know where they fit in the modelines. Using that, you can adjust
> with xvidtune, note the numbers, and then make the changes in the
> modelines manually. Again, though, BE CAREFUL. You might try small
> incremental changes before you try the full boat, just to make sure it
> works as you expect.

Excuse my ignorance Paul. In running XF86Config it also asks about my
mouse etc. Do I have to choose anything up until I get to my video? I
would rather not touch anything else except for my video settings.
There is a GUI based XF86Congif isn't there?

You'll have to excuse me I haven't run LInux since v6.0 of Red Hat so
I'm extremely rusty....

> I wonder, are you running xvidtune as root? If not, I can imagine that
> it would not write back to XF86Config, since as a non-privileged user
> you don't have write permission to the file. If that happened, it might
> not tell you it didn't write it, either.

Yuppers ... running it under "root". So I would figure I have write
permission on the file.

Jason