Re: [SLUG] Mandrake & xvidtune

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 11:32:33 EDT

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 08:58:56AM -0400, Jason Pratt wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2001 02:35:00 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Well, "apply" sounds right. The numbers at the top of each of the scales
> > in xvidtune correspond to numbers in the modelines, if I'm not mistaken.
> > You can take a look at how they come up when you first start it, and
> > then track where those values show up in the XF86Config file. That way
> > you'll know where they fit in the modelines. Using that, you can adjust
> > with xvidtune, note the numbers, and then make the changes in the
> > modelines manually. Again, though, BE CAREFUL. You might try small
> > incremental changes before you try the full boat, just to make sure it
> > works as you expect.
> >

> Excuse my ignorance Paul. In running XF86Config it also asks about my
> mouse etc. Do I have to choose anything up until I get to my video? I
> would rather not touch anything else except for my video settings.
> There is a GUI based XF86Congif isn't there?
>
> You'll have to excuse me I haven't run LInux since v6.0 of Red Hat so
> I'm extremely rusty....

Smitty echoed my intent: edit your XF86Config file by hand. If you get
it wrong, X won't run and will print out an error message. Presumably
it's _almost_ right, so you just need tweaks.

The xf86config utility is stone age, and as I recall, you do have to
reiterate everything you already put in it. A better utility (graphical)
is XF86Setup. It comes with Red Hat, though you may not have installed
it. The only problem is that in some cases XF86Setup won't run properly.
I don't know why. xf86config is the last chance text mode config utility
which will always run, but I'd use XF86Setup if you can.

One other point. All this is predicated on your running X 3.x. I don't
know how much of it applies to version 4 of X, since some changes were
made to the config files.

> > I wonder, are you running xvidtune as root? If not, I can imagine that
> > it would not write back to XF86Config, since as a non-privileged user
> > you don't have write permission to the file. If that happened, it might
> > not tell you it didn't write it, either.
> >

> Yuppers ... running it under "root". So I would figure I have write
> permission on the file.

You got me, then.

Paul