Re: [SLUG] Mandrake & xvidtune

From: Jason Pratt (linuxmad@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 16:35:24 EDT

On 10 Jun 2001 11:32:33 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Smitty echoed my intent: edit your XF86Config file by hand. If you get
> it wrong, X won't run and will print out an error message. Presumably
> it's _almost_ right, so you just need tweaks.

Well I edited it by hand and rebooted.. still the same as before.. I
don't think release 4 reads the XF85Config the same was as release 3
did. I did notice that there is an XF86Config-4 in there as well. I
looked through that and didn't see any mention of what I'm needing to
change.

> The xf86config utility is stone age, and as I recall, you do have to
> reiterate everything you already put in it. A better utility (graphical)
> is XF86Setup. It comes with Red Hat, though you may not have installed
> it. The only problem is that in some cases XF86Setup won't run properly.
> I don't know why. xf86config is the last chance text mode config utility
> which will always run, but I'd use XF86Setup if you can.

Should I be able to find XF86Setup on any of the Mandrake CD's?

I really appreciate the help guys...

Jason