Re: [SLUG] Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it

From: Mark (mark@bish.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:14:22 EDT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Jason Copenhaver wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Mike Manchester wrote:
>
> > Please check out this artical and give your feedback.
> >
> > http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2773365,00.html
> >
> > Mike M.
>

> Hmm.. first argument is that it wont work because everyone else too stupid
> to use linux and that only people that get paid will make linux easier to
> use.. He has obvisouly not tried GNOME or KDE...

Bah, these interfaces are still in their infancy and are nowhere near
where they need to be at if they are to be accepted by Joe User.

And I do run KDE and GNOME.

> second argument: you need java to be a good desktop.. doesn't really make
> any sense.. seeings how the majority of apps are still written in c/c++..
> and.. guess what.. Java does work on linux..

You missed his point. If I have a Java app I can run it wherever I want
to - not just the OS it was compiled for. If more people had used Java
then there would be that many more applications I could run on Linux right
out of the box. And there are problems with Java on Linux.

> third argument: can't really make heads or tails of it..

Think about it - hopefully you will.

> fourth argument: linux is a threat to other unix falvors more than it is a
> threat to ms.. don't see how this keeps it from being a desktop?

How many other unix flavors are already on the desktop. Starts with a
'Z'.

> fifth: worried about linux forking.. which I can see as a potential
> concern

Actually, this is probably one of the only arguements he makes that I
disagree with right now. The community will be real slow to support
another fork as long as Linus is alive. I guess this is where zealotry is
a good thing.

> sixth: claims OS is a small cost when running a server... tell that to the
> people that have to upgrade every 2 years when MS releases it's new OS

Tell that to the HR people who can hire MS people at a dime a dozen when
Unix people usually command higher salaries.

> seventh: I think he is trying to say it will only work if it is made
> specific to hardware.. again.. not sure about this

What IBM did to AIX.

> eight: good advice.. argument as to why linux wont make it on the desktop
> it is not though.

If you choose to run linux you better know why, else you look like an
idiot.

> nine: a little fortune telling here.. linux will be used in embedded
> devices.. so not on the desktop..

Bascially.

> all together.. the article is weak..seems like more uninformed propaganda
> to me..

This is a well put together article and makes some very valid points that
people should take seriously. Don't call it propaganda just because you
don't like it because it is anti-linux. There are points that need to be
addressed by the community and simply sticking your head in the sand
doesn't help anyone - not even you.

| Mark Bishop (mark@bish.net) | Computer Engineer |
| 813.258.2390 | Network Engineer |
| http://bish.net | Embedded Programmer |