Re: [SLUG] Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it

From: leo (haleo@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 19:04:44 EDT

I'm really new to Linux, but I think that as people become more computer
literate they are bound to resent situations where they cannot help
themselves to solve a problem. That is the main ax I have to grind with
MSWindows. Without an engineering degree you are out in the cold most of the
time. I just learned (please don't laugh) that all the control for installs
is in a text file that I can edit, not in some archane "registry" where
trying to remove something can create chaos. Linux needs to point up the
ease of resolving problems, the lack of need for outside technical support
once you become familiar. I wish we had a central point for error messages
and recovery steps to take, or is there and I am unaware? By the way, what
is the name of the text file which keeps the install information? I have a
stack of books 5 feet tall and can't find this answer. Thanx.............leo.