Re: [SLUG] microsoft is an intellectual property destroyer

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 20:23:15 EDT

After reading that article I would have to question whether there is any
copyright violation.
Every browser decides how to display the web site content, and they all show
things differently. It sounds like the new MS browser will add items to pages
viewed on the users' browser. It won't affect the web site at all, just what
is shown on the readers' screens. Unfortunately, I think we'll be seeing more
and more of that type of thing, such as when Fox planned this year to digitally
remove advertising off of NASCAR vehicles if the sponsoring company didn't
advertise on the network. After severe protest those plans were shelved.

I can see where many people would think that little "extras" are a benefit -
after all AOL and MSN are the dominant ISPs in the country. Personally, I want
to see what the author intended - but I myself wouldn't mind a quick key stroke
to toggle those horrible black backgrounds to a light color /dark text style
(but alt-A in Netscape isn't too bad, I guess). Since I'll probably never buy
another version of Windows, IE6 is one thing I really don't worry about.

    scott