Re: [SLUG] Mandrake PPc

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 07:52:09 EDT

I'm going to have to get a new machine just to try out the
Mandrakeppc...This is the beautiful thing about Free Software: once the
booting questions are resolve because of different architecture,
recompiling most of the software for a different processor isn't too
hard. That's how RH 5.2 became Linuxppc. Then Yellowdog "took"
Linuxppc's stuff, and made it their own, with their own improvements.
Debian went their own way as they often do...Then Mandrake does it, too.
Sweet. Now, how often do you see a closed-source (or a shared-source)
company be so nimble, and try different things, different architectures,
processors? Only if they created it themselves...Even Be, Inc., didn't
do that.

Trivia: Did you know (or care ;-) That there was a version of NT (3.5,
IIRC) that ran on Apple's PowerMacs? I wonder what ever happened that.
The Justice Dept., perhaps?

Russell

_its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
_it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"