Re: [SLUG] Win4Lin and M$Office: followup rant

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 02:01:03 EDT

It essentially turns W95/W98 into another app running under Linux.
After logging in to your Linux user account, you enter "win &" in an X
terminal and Windows pops up in its own window. You run Windows just as
you abnormally would. :-) Windows is actually working but within a
memory space that Linux/Win4Lin sets aside for it and any access to the
hardware is performed through Linux. This is my understanding. My
system has 128M of ram but Windows thinks there is only 32M.

I have installed Office95 without a problem. Word97 works also. Sorry,
I haven't bought any Microsoft software since then. Jonathan pointed
out some of the limitations in an earlier post.

-Robert