Re: [SLUG] Win4Lin and M$Office: followup rant

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 20:14:08 EDT

Of course I don't really know, but I would guess that there are probably
more hours being spent on Wine than on either VMWare or Win4Lin because it
is a popular open source project.

If you want to try Wine, I would say that for the RPM crowd, the best way
to start is to go to

http://www.codeweavers.com and get their packaged version.

For debian, look at http://www.winehq.com and set your apt sources to what
is listed on the wine download page.

VMWare and Win4Lin run more aps because they are running Windows on your
machine.

If you have a windows machine on your network and just need to run a
windows application every now and then, you can use the free VNC server on
the windows machine and VNC client on the Linux machine to run any windows
program (but you will need to have at least 2 machines - with windows
installed and running on one of them - the windows machine runs the
program, and you get the screen display on your Linux box)

scott