Re: [SLUG] Java (Was Re: Netscape 6)

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 10:30:39 EDT

> I downloaded the intel binary..
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/java2/index.html
>
> will the source compile on powerpc?

I don't know. :-\ I have to register, I guess, to get the source.
There's a couple of other places, I think, to get the source, but I'm
quite perturbed by Sun's licensing restrictions on Java. I'm so used to
the freedom I get with GPLed Software. Just d/l the source, and compile
away! The SDK's listed are just Runtime Environments to allow for the
development of Java app(let)s...Not any good if you don't have an Intel
machine...

Then Sun condescends to say, at the bottom of the page:
"Building, porting, and testing the Java 2 SDK source code requires a
high level of technical expertise."

Puhleeeease! It can't be any worse that some of the stuff I've done so
far. I mean, I'm not a hacker, but I am a fairly proficient user, and I
think I can compile some source code on my own. But there is that whole
GPL thing again: the people who usually write GPL software *make sure*
that you can compile their source pretty darn easily. Sun's code ain't
GPL, and so they want to make it Difficult To Use (TM) and Compile.

I don't exactly know where this rant started, but </rant> :-)

Russell

_its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
_it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"