Re: [SLUG] Java (Was Re: Netscape 6)

From: awyatt@intergate.cx
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 10:53:45 EDT

> Original Message from Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:30:39 -0400:>
> > I downloaded the intel binary..
> >
> > http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/java2/index.html
> >
> > will the source compile on powerpc?
> >

> I don't know. :-\ I have to register, I guess, to get the source.
> There's a couple of other places, I think, to get the source, but
I'm
> quite perturbed by Sun's licensing restrictions on Java. I'm so
used to
> the freedom I get with GPLed Software. Just d/l the source, and
compile

I haven't paid much attention to it, way I see it is if it's a linux
app it's better than not being a linux app no matter what the
license :-)

> away! The SDK's listed are just Runtime Environments to allow for
the
> development of Java app(let)s...Not any good if you don't have an
Intel
> machine...
>
> Then Sun condescends to say, at the bottom of the page:
> "Building, porting, and testing the Java 2 SDK source code requires
> high level of technical expertise."
>
> Puhleeeease! It can't be any worse that some of the stuff I've done
so
> far. I mean, I'm not a hacker, but I am a fairly proficient user,
and I
> think I can compile some source code on my own. But there is that
whole

That may be a hey be careful if you haven't compiled software before
notice :-) It would likely cause a phonecall from my wife if she saw
it, which isn't so bad <g>

> GPL thing again: the people who usually write GPL software *make
sure*
> that you can compile their source pretty darn easily. Sun's code
ain't

true.

> GPL, and so they want to make it Difficult To Use (TM) and Compile.

Dunno if I agree with that, just because it's not GPL doesn't mean
it's bad <g> I give away a non-GPL app (it was GPL a few revs past,
but the code was maturing with only one developer, so I decided to
just make a binary release, and release it with a closed source
license..)

> I don't exactly know where this rant started, but :-)

It can be diverted to email <g>

> Russell

> _its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
> _it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"

This E-Mail was sent with MailMax/WEB.
http://www.smartmax.com