Re: [SLUG] A Real Question

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 10:47:50 EDT

Look at http://www.debian.org:/doc/maint-guide/ for information on making
packages, and here's a site were you can access many documents, including
the above one.

http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp

You can see what a deb contains (and build one) by using dpkg. make a
dummy directory, then issue the commands dpkg -x pick-a-deb
yourdummydir This will extract the files and their locations from the
deb package. Then issue dpkg -e same-deb-file same-dir and it will
extract the control files. From that you can see a pretty good indication
of what a debian package consists of.

To build it, you use dpkg with the build option (I think -b), the deb name,
and the directory location with all the files.

scott