Re: [SLUG] Is M$ violating the terms of GPL

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 09:22:23 EDT

Open Source != GPL. The latest salvo from M$ basically is a counter-offensive
(anti-viral, considering the viral-ness of the GPL) that says "Even though
the GPL states that other non-free software that includes GPLed software must
be GPLed, we state that you can't use our software in conjunction with GPLed
software," which would prevent the viral nature of the GPL from "polluting"
M$'s code, and thus causing it to become free (both libra and gratis). M$ may
be using Open Source Software, but lately the word on this is that it's
OpenBSD software, which isn't GPL, but is still "open." M$ clearly doesn't
mind using that, since they can take it and make it "proprietary," i.e., they
are not required to release any changes as source code. Apple's done the same
thing with Mac OS X, BTW.

Russell