Re: [SLUG] apoligies

From: Joe Orthoefer (joeo@nks.net)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 16:00:09 EDT

Did some additional checking on my end, no indications of problems on this
end...

various csh things I've done to organize info from the listserve...

foreach XX (`cat slug-address-list`)
echo $XX; grep $XX /var/log/maillog | wc -l
end

to show how many inbound/outbout mails listed in the current maillog involved
a particular address... For people just on the slug list aproximately 130
since the 17th. Slightly higher for those on multiple slug related lists.
This would indicate that the server is only sending mail once to each
recipient.
Robert has been good enough to double check headers on his duplicated mail
and sees that the headers are identical for each of the hops.

cat slug | awk -F@ '{ print $2 }' | sort | uniq -c | sort -r

to give me a list of the number addresses in the same domain;

     49 tampabay.rr.com
     15 yahoo.com
     11 gte.net
      7 hotmail.com
      5 verizon.net
      5 earthlink.net
      4 aol.com
      3 mindspring.com
      3 home.com

I was thinking this might have something to do with it, since sendmail tends
to send bulk mail to a site a particular domain with multiple local
recipients listed in one mail, perhaps the MTA (mail transport agent) at
these sites have a problem, though this is something MTA's are supposed to be
able to handle. The problem with this theory is Glen (who has a tampabay RR
address) already stated he gets no duplicates...

I any case I'll see if I can toggle this behavior off.