Re: [SLUG] File transfers between 2 computers

From: ter swartz (ter450@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 10:09:28 EDT

Norbert,
I will be able to answer some, but not all of your
questions, since I am a newbie to linux, but
networking principles in all enviroments are similiar
in TCP/IP.
1) I.P.'s you are using are good (assuming that is
your only network connectivity.)
2) Yes, it is important to have the same subnet mask
(255.255.255.0 is good for local area network). This
would be modified for larger networks (250+ clients or
large amounts of traffic that would need to be
"subnet'ed").
3) My weak area in linux, being a newbie to it, but
know that the host names need to be different, but
believe the domain name needs tobe the same.
4) Routing is only a consideration if you are
accessing a different subnet mask (i.e. the internet,
or larger LAN).

Ping is my favorite tool for confirming connectivity.
("ping 192.168.1.1" or "ping 192.168.1.2"). This
answers the question of whether or not you are
connected using TCP/IP.
  Jason is right about the cross over cable from NIC
to NIC. NIC to NIC, will not work with regular Cat 5
cable. You can purchase for about $7-10 or they are
actually fun to make (look up "cross over cable" at
www.ask.com). About a year ago, I dropped $100 on
1000' Cat 5 Cable, heads and crimpers. Has paid for
itself several times.
  Another alternative is to hook them both up to a
hub, coarse' introduces more variables in the question
of connectivity, but would not require a cross over
cable. Hope this help.
Pete.