Re: [SLUG] Wow...DVD in Linux!!!!

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 07:41:50 EDT

>Hey, folks...I've got a DVD-Rom working in Mandrake!!! I'm watching my
>favorite movie as I type (well, listening to the soundtrack of it,
>anyway), "Spaceballs"!!!!
>
>The video is slightly jerky and for some reason it won't eject the tray
>after it's finished, but otherwise, I'm absolutely delighted!!! It's the
>OMI player and other than what I've already stated, it works fine!
>
>Anita

Slashdot had some DvD software mentioned last week.
Thanks to Ian telling me I checked out one called Videolan www.videolan.org
This one is also a little jerky but almost perfect. It to suffers from the
dreaded
CD-ROM Drive Locking after words. The story is at this URL.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/06/22/1355241&mode=thread

I am happy with Videolan because the Sound is incredible sounds like true
Dolby encoded.
My laptop almost plays this perfectly. I think the problem is in the
caching or frame rate that causes
the glitches. But hey Playing on a Compaq Persario 192 Meg Ram 450 AMD K6 2
8 meg trident cyblade
12x Dvd and JBL sound I am not complaining to much. Perhaps if the software
gets more developed
it will fix that. Also maybe if I adjust the Uldma settings this may fix it
as well. I am guessing at that.

Or perhaps it is a common Problem with Mandrake as I am running that too
Version 8.
Maybe on S.u.S.E. it would run better. I will have to play with that. Or
maybe Debian.

Any ways Videolan so far works for me Xine I could not get to work hardly at
all. No sound and the
Video was off center. Videolan also detected the Wide Screen I had of The
Mummy and Blade Runner.

Maybe someone in our group can figure out how to make the frame rates
smoother and the Drive from Locking?