[SLUG] The most stupid response from a reporter

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 15:17:08 EDT

I listed a more fud posting a bit ago today.
http://linux.cnet.com/linux/0-5826907-7-6267608.html?tag=sd
I responed to this and here is his reply.
This guy is obviously wacked.

From: "Bill O'Brien" <hardedge@optonline.net>
Subject: RE: Linux@large: Crazy Freddy
To: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com

Y'know.... This "If you say anything negative about Linux you obviously
don't know what you're talking about" thing is getting old real fast.
It's the same line I got from the OS/2 folk when I tried to explain to
them where they were going wrong. You remember OS/2, right? It is just a
memory.

There are plenty of Linux pundit folk out there who'll tell you just
want you want to hear. Sorry, I don't do that. I'm firmly based in
reality with a wonderful grasp of the absurd.

As for 10-year olds who can install Linux, well, there are12-year olds
who can shoot people. I'm not sure either statistic really proves
anything.

-O'B.

Here was My Reply to his story

First of all hard to install is a old excuse. We got computer novices at my
Lug Meetings who can install Linux. We have Kids installing Linux,
We have Girlfriends and Wives loading it.

What is Hard about Mandrake 8 install ? , Redhat 7.1 , S.u.S.E. 7.2 ,
Stormix , or Corel?
If you can not install these then you should not call your self a computer
user. Corel 4 question 5 if you use 2.0

Code Keys ummm yeah right ? Updates rough oh my I guess on a Debian System ,
Corel , Stormix ,
Progeny, or Debian typing "apt-get" -upgrade all is such a hard thing. Or
in Mandrakes System clicking on the RPM utility,
In Stormix the SAS package manager point and click is too hard.

Auto install hmm download Musicmatch for Linux. It is as easy as click on
the setup.sh file and it goes. Corel Word perfect
and Corel Draw for Linux umm click setup...hmmmmm where did I see this one
before?

Next Linux like Windows NT and 2000 you have to be in admin to to make any
major settings to
protect the system.

I honestly hope that Cnet and Zdnet your sister company get journalist whom
are not trying to slam Linux and maybe rehash someone
else's 3 year old story. Funny almost half the words sound like the guy ad
ZDnet. A few weeks ago.

The truth is when a Kid 10 years old can install Linux and use it then how
much easier does it have to be?
www.linux4kids.com

Also oh yeah the cost funny what's the average cost per any software support
???? You get 30 to 90 free days like anyone else.
Even Microsoft does this now!!! So what's the gripe.

I got it installed on PC's, Mac's , Handheld's, laptops.

Please actually try it before you knock it.

Also have you tried Newsgroups , Google , and even signing up on a LUG
Linux, Users , Group list to get help? How about
good ole IRC?

Try our lug's list. www.suncoastlug.org
Perhaps you should come to one of our meetings and I will show you how easy
it is to install.

B.P.