Re: [SLUG]netscape issues

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 10:42:23 EDT

On Saturday 30 June 2001 07:09 pm, Bill wrote:

> I am using 4.77 ... and have been for quite some time ... without
> the effect he mentioned. From time to time I visit that weather
> site with no ill effects. With all due respect, I doubt if the
> problem is in 4.77 ...

[snip]

I've been using 4.77 since I installed MDK 8.0 and I have exactly the
same problem David has and it is definitely [ Java | JavaScript ]
related. I have had some of the same problems with older builds but
the situation with 4.77 seems to be much more aggravated. Some sites
with a lot of JavaScript will lock that puppy up and render it
useless.

One of three things occur. 1) It takes a hard crash disappearing
from the screen. 2) It will freeze and enter some kind of infinite
loop not even bothering to repaint. 3) It will have some sort of a
mini crash leaving you with an empty white browser screen and/or
allow you to return to the previous page but the links will turn red
while you click them but nothing happens.

All three conditions require a restart of Netscape. This is very
frustrating and I am thinking of installing an older build.

One good thing......Konqueror is shaping up to be a very good
replacement to Netscape. Once all the bugs are worked out I think it
will become my browser of choice.

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net