Re: [SLUG] cp, mv, and files that are too big.

From: Norbert Omar Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 12:30:01 EDT

> You can always do this little hack to move a file from /path/to/orig to
> /path/to/new:
>
> cd /path/to/orig
> tar cf - really-big-file.foo | ( cd /path/to/new && tar xf - )
>
> That gets around the "big file" problem that cp, etc. will have.

tar complains that the file is too large. It always complains at the
2gig limit (2,147,483,648 bytes). What about this:

On the same HD as the ext2 file system, there is a 5gig ReiserFS
partition (/dev/hdb5). Is there any way to delete that partition and
expand the other (/dev/hdb6) to fill that space? Maybe then I could just
expand the file.

How would I go about doing this?

Norb