Re: [SLUG] cp, mv, and files that are too big.

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 19:38:28 EDT

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Norbert Omar Cartagena wrote:

> tar complains that the file is too large. It always complains at the
> 2gig limit (2,147,483,648 bytes). What about this:
>
> On the same HD as the ext2 file system, there is a 5gig ReiserFS
> partition (/dev/hdb5). Is there any way to delete that partition and
> expand the other (/dev/hdb6) to fill that space? Maybe then I could
> just expand the file.
>
> How would I go about doing this?

In some newer kernel I believe there is a logical volume manager but I
haven't used it yet. I'm a little surprised that tar complains but I
guess the next option is to "split" the file.

Is the file in question a text file or a binary file? (Besides, what in
the heck is in this huge file anyway?)

The split utility should be able to do what you need (by splitting and
then reconstructing the original file) but this may yet be another thing
that complains the file is too large.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampbay.rr.com