Re: [SLUG] cp, mv, and files that are too big.

From: Norbert Omar Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 19:41:45 EDT

Paul Braman wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Norbert Omar Cartagena wrote:
>
> > tar complains that the file is too large. It always complains at the
> > 2gig limit (2,147,483,648 bytes). What about this:
> >
> > On the same HD as the ext2 file system, there is a 5gig ReiserFS
> > partition (/dev/hdb5). Is there any way to delete that partition and
> > expand the other (/dev/hdb6) to fill that space? Maybe then I could
> > just expand the file.
> >
> > How would I go about doing this?
>
> In some newer kernel I believe there is a logical volume manager but I
> haven't used it yet. I'm a little surprised that tar complains but I
> guess the next option is to "split" the file.
>
> Is the file in question a text file or a binary file? (Besides, what in
> the heck is in this huge file anyway?)
>
> The split utility should be able to do what you need (by splitting and
> then reconstructing the original file) but this may yet be another thing
> that complains the file is too large.
>
> Paul Braman
> aeon@tampbay.rr.com

Well, as I said before, the file is a backup of a bunch of stuff I had
on my system, namely a bunch of 1/2 and 1 hour radio shows from the 30's
40's and 50's, as well as books on tape (namely lots of stuff by Carl
Sagan). See, napster is not ONLY used to share music. It's about 2.5
gigs of stuff. The rest is a bunch of little files, like work and
nintendo-emulated games, config files, pictures... At any rate, it's a
really big fat .tgz file.

How do I check what kernel I'm using? Maybe I accidentally loaded a
2.2.x? I thought that was the kernel with the 2gig file limit.

Where can I get this file splitting utility?

NOrb