Re: [SLUG] Microsoft backtracks

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 00:37:29 EDT

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 11:45:05PM -0400, Robert Haeckl wrote:

> Whoops!
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/07/06/ms.extends.deadline.idg/index.html

This licensing stuff _may_ be great for high volume accounts, but I
just wonder how many dentists, auto shops, and other small businesses
will sign on for such a scheme. I realize this kind of licensing isn't
meant for them at this point. But eventually, Microsoft wants you to
rent your apps on this basis. And once small businesses realize this is
the Microsoft scheme, I think they're going to be mad as hell. Can you
say "platform defection"? And a perfect opportunity for Linux. Go
Microsoft, go! ;-}

(We should do a marketing campaign on a basis of something like:
"Linux: The End of Endless Upgrades".)

Paul