Re: [SLUG] Red Hat 6.2 problem

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 00:54:08 EDT

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:06:15PM -0400, Gypsy wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> >

> > Assuming you successfully rebooted after the install and before this
> > problem started, and assuming you truly didn't make any changes to the
> > configuration, this sounds like a hardware problem. Is the boot disk
> > you're talking about a floppy or the hard drive? Can you give more
> > symptoms?
> >
> > Paul
>
> Sorry, I meant to post more details but was interrupted. I have a
> generic motherboard with SIS 530 super7 chipset with onboard AGP
> graphics and sound. A Maxtor 8gig hd with one 6.5gig vfat32 partition,
> one 1.4gig linux partition, and one .1gig swap partition. I also have a
> second 1.2gig hd with one vfat32 partition that is used for storing
> files. The Maxtor hd has 1027 cylinders and I've made sure the boot and
> root partitions are below 1024. I have installed Red Hat 6.2 to dual
> boot with Win98 and use LILO. I also have a US Robotics ISA 56K fax
> modem, a D-Link DFE-530 TX PCI ethernet card, and 192 MB RAM.
>
> When I first installed linux I was able to boot to either OS with no
> problems. I have made no changes to the configuration of the machine,
> Windows, or linux. I was able to find something on Red Hat's web site
> that allows me to boot from the installation CD but when I do that I
> can't load any modules. By typing "linux single root=/dev/hda2 initrd="
> I'm able to access my files on the linux partition with no problem but
> can't load the modules for my sound, modem, or NIC.

This is because of the way you're booting (single user mode). You
_could_ load modules, but it would be tedious; that's why the boot process
normally does this automatically.

You're beyond my expertise at this point. If you can boot into Windows,
then it sounds like maybe your hardware's okay (though Windows is more
forgiving of crappy hardware). I'd guess your boot files are messed
up, but I can't say in what way. Did you say you'd reinstalled with the
same problem? Did you try wiping the Linux partition with fdisk after
booting as above, and then reinstalling?

If no one can offer better advice, you might consider coming to a
meeting. Busted machines/distros are always welcome.

Paul