[SLUG] 2gig filesize limits, and how to get arround them

From: Norb (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 13:39:10 EDT

Alright, well, as you might remember, I had that mammoth 3gig file
sitting on my hard drive, whcih I needed to move to another partition.
Well, I used split to move it to another partition (thanks, Paul, for
the tip on how to do it). Now my problem is that I can't reconstruct the
file! I did a

cat * > rescue.tgz

where '*' means "all the fragments in this directory." Unfortunatelly,
at 2 gigs, the system complains "File Too Large." Does anyone know how I
can get large file support? I think it was mentioned before that I had
to recompile libc or something like that (I've been a bit swamped with
work this week and accidentally deleted a few of the messages.

Thanks, again, for any help.

Norb