Re: [SLUG] Microsoft backtracks (relpy to Travi's message)

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 15:47:08 EDT

On Saturday 07 July 2001 02:44 pm, you wrote:
> I have to agree with Federico, Travis. The difference in your preference
> stems from the environment to which you've been used to. You might have
> used Linux for 4 years, but windows/DOS for 10. You're used to the
> mentality of "One tool, all I need".

Hold on here.

I am attempting to keep a record of what I do to setup this computer.

As such I would like to use a few of the emails that I have received as a
basis for the record of some of my actions.

Good so far but I am using Kmail as my email editor and address book even
though Netscape is better. Kmail does not come with the baggage of reporting
to Net Central Command like Netscape does.

So first I save the email.
You know top left open file and save.
Now I want to edit what I saved to remove the garbage - headers and reformat
the information into a usable form.
So off to Kwrite and open file but guess what the files are not there.
Now Midnight Commander says they are there.
So off to Netscape editor and guess what. They are there.
Opened same in Netscape; saved as text and back to Kwrite.
Files are there; open in Kwrite and save in kwd format.

Personally I think this is too complicated. Way too complicated.
As far as I am concerned Kwrite should not only recognize Kmail files but I
should be able to open Kmail files in Kwrite and to me this is the big
drawback of Linux to the desktop world.

Frank

<snip>